Georgette sarees are among the most sought after sarees. Valued for their amazing fluidity and versatile ability to take various types of embellishments and designs, Georgette saris are often a contemporary woman’s first choice. These sarees fall well, and have a fluid, flowy yet bouncy feel. This makes them easy to drape and carry, as well as extremely attractive. Suitable for almost all body types, georgette sarees are highly valued for their slimming effect. You will find an amazing collection of printed, plain, bordered, embellished and designer georgette sarees on Saree.com.
Although sheer in quality, georgette is rarely entirely see-thorough. This makes it perfect for women, who like pliable and flowing silhouettes, but don’t want to show too much skin.
Did you know that pure georgette is actually silk fabric?
Georgette fabric gets its name from the 20th Century French dress-maker - Madame Georgette de la Plante – the innovative textile designer, who introduced this lovely fabric.
Georgette was essentially made with very thin silk yarn. A variant of the earlier made crepe fabric, it was characterized for its crisp appearance. Georgette turned out to be a more fluid fabric than crepe, created by highly twisted yarns.
In the weaving process of this fabric, fibers are twisted and spun to form thin yarns, which are further twisted in both warp and weft – to get a slightly coarser, somewhat sheer, light-weight, crinkled, springy fabric. The thin yarns are responsible for the sheer quality of georgette, and they also make the material light in weight. Twisting makes it crinkly, dull in appearance and somewhat rough. But, the same twisting makes georgette a more resilient fabric than silks or chiffons. The textured effect of georgette has a distinctive quality, and its characteristic bounciness gives it a life of its own.
Types of Georgette
Georgette is no longer made in only silk yarn.
Silk blends, silk-cotton blends are used to create real georgette, which is far more expensive, thinner and more absorbent than faux georgette. The absorbent georgette is easier to dye.
Polyester, viscose, nylon, satin and other man-made fibers are blended with natural fibers or only artificial fibers are used to create other variants of georgette.
Poly-georgette is the fabric made from only artificial fibers, primarily polyester and viscose.
Why should you wear Georgette Sarees?
Georgettes sarees are must-haves for every woman. They are available in a huge variety and finishes, and can be worn on any occasion.
Here are few qualities of georgette –
1. It’s light-weight and breathable, so georgette saree is perfect for hot or humid weather.
2. On its own, georgette is lustre-less, so it never looks over-the-top. That is why, georgette saris are perfect for day events and office-wear.
3. The crisp, smart appearance of georgette is great for formal events, interviews, office parties and more. Printed Georgette Sarees and Plain Georgette Sarees are much sought after for the same reason.
4. It is naturally bouncy and springy, which gives it a lovely fall and fluidity. Georgette saris look great on every body type, as they hug your curves perfectly, while camouflaging the flaws.
5. Georgette is sheer, but not very much. It is also light and can be dyed in almost all colours. Thus, it makes for a perfect fabric for gowns, Indo-Western silhouettes, Anarkalis, modern Salwar Kameez, Lehengas and even as inner-lining (for layering).
6. Since it is dull and thin, it takes all sorts of embroideries and embellishments extremely well. Heavy metallic work like Zardozi, Aaari, Dabka and machine-work – everything looks great on georgette. That is why you will find Designer Wedding Sarees and other Designer Sarees and other Indian ethnic ensembles crafted often in georgette.
Buy Georgette Sarees Online
Saree.com is one of the most comprehensive and trustworthy Online platform for buying Sarees of all sorts. Georgette Sarees available online on Saree.com are suitable for all budgets, occasions and ages. You can browse to find beautiful georgette saris in all colours and all types of embroideries.
Plain georgette saree with broad, embroidered borders are quite popular amongst girls and women of all ages. These days, printed georgette saris with dainty borders and contrasting embellishments are also very much in vogue. Chikankari work is also done on georgette fabric, and these Chikankari Saris look extremely elegant and suave.
Traditional textile arts like Bandhani and Gharchola weaving are also often done of georgette fabric. You can choose from a big range of trendy Georgette Bandhani Sarees and very chic, Designer Georgette Lehenga Sarees available at Saree.com. The trendy Half and Half Sarees are also available in georgette fabric.
Pair your Georgette Sarees well…
While you make your selection for your favourite georgette saree from the huge saree collection available at Saree.com, do not forget to find browse the readymade blouses and accessories sections too. Simple and graceful georgette sarees can be paired wonderfully with embellished, stylish readymade blouses. Also, well-coordinated, well-chosen jewelry with a sari can uplift sari’s overall appeal by notches. Make your perfect selection now!
Saree.com ships FREE of COST to almost all locations across India. We also offer Worldwide Shipping facility, so you can choose and order trendy georgette sarees even from countries like Canada, U.S.A., France, U.K. , Switzerland, Australia etc.